Alumna Elizabeth Li: The Most Important Amazing Thing

L-R: Dr Lau Ying Kheng, Dr Roland Tan & Alumna Elizabeth Li

Hello. My name is 「感恩姐妹」”Grateful Sister”, and I am glad to be here to share about my life. I would like to share my journey through two major surgeries, in which I experienced something amazing and totally unexpected!

It started eight years ago. I broke my right thigh at home in 2015. A steel plate was mounted in my thigh and I recuperated at home. While recuperating, I discovered that my ability to express myself was compromised. I could not express what I wanted to express and I thought I was beginning to have amnesia.

One day, God moved me to see a doctor. There was an internal medicine department with a “Language Section” and I went to register immediately. It was amazing that I manged to consult a famous doctor and he decided that I should be hospitalised upon consultation.

After examination, a tumour was detected in my brain and the doctor advised me to remove the tumour by an operation as soon as possible. Everything happened so suddenly, but in the midst of the anxiety, I prayed and God gave great peace in my heart to proceed with the surgery. The risky operation took place the following Tuesday and went smoothly. After that, I also recovered well.

At the time, the doctor asked me to keep track of an annual MRI. I didn’t expect it.

Another small tumour was seen during the year. I was getting confused about why the smaller tumour was not detected earlier. The doctor said the one before was inside the brain, this one was outside the brain near the eye. He thinks that as long as it does not affect the eye, we can ignore it for now.

After about seven years later…

Last year, my eye pressure suddenly went up and my ophthalmologist was worried it was due to the brain tumour. But the encephatologist thought otherwise as my eyes were still in very good shape. I started consulting some doctors and different ones had different opinions. It was hard for me to decide. Finally, I left everything to God. I was at peace and I trusted the doctor. The doctor asked me if I wanted to consider having a surgery. To my surprise, my heart was at peace, and I decided to let him operate.

The surgery was scheduled two weeks after my doctor’s consultation and even though there was the fear of hurting the visual nerves, this second surgery was also a success. After the operation, the doctor came in and told me to open my eyes. I could see everything perfectly and the surgery was without any complications. Truly, praise be to God!

What I want to share with you is that although I was in distress, God has brought me out from distress and given me peace that surpasses all understanding.

After telling the story of my life, I want to introduce you to the most important thing in my life, which is to know Jesus Christ, the God of eternal life!

God has prepared you for a rich and meaningful life.

But, have you experienced it? Or, why didn’t we experience that?

Second, because man’s sin separates us from the holy God. The sin here is not just a crime against the law, but includes our inner filth, jealousy, selfishness, etc.

“For the price of sin is death (separation from God)” (Bible, Romans 6:23)

Where can you find the answer to peace with God?

Jesus Christ is God’s only salvation for man’s sins. Jesus came from heaven and took the form of a man and died on the Cross for our sins.

And Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, the life, and no one can come to the Father without me” (Bible, John 14:6).

How should we respond to that?

You need to personally accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord of Life, and you can experience the love of God and the abundant life He has prepared for you!

And Jesus said, “Look at that. I knock at the door [of your heart], and if anyone hears my voice and opens it, I will go in to him.'” (Revelation 3:20)

Will you invite Him (Jesus Christ) into your heart?

By faith, you can invite Jesus Christ into your heart through this prayer. (This prayer, for reference only)

“Oh, God, I need you. I am willing to open my heart and invite you into my life to be my Saviour and Lord of Life. Forgive me my sins, that I may be your child. I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.” Amen means “Let it be so.”

If you have sincerely prayed the above prayer, I encourage you go to a nearby church, speak to the church leaders or members about learning more of your newfound faith, and seek to grow in your faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ.

The sharing above is translated from the original Chinese to English and further edited for this article. The original author is by EAST Alumna Elizabeth Li (Master of Divinity, 1997) whom our two resident faculty, Dr Lau Ying Kheng and Dr Roland Tan, recently caught up with in their Taiwan trip. Elizabeth has survived two major brain surgeries and testified of God’s grace and goodness to her. She also wanted to share the most important thing in her life – that of knowing the good news of Jesus Christ.