Field Supervisors Tea & Field Practicum Reflections

“What is your impression of EAST at the recent Field Supervisors Tea?” we asked a Field Supervisor (who personally oversees the field education aspect of EAST student).

Here are some reflections by Ms Faye Hohaia, OMF International Assistant General Director who is a Field Supervisor to an EAST student, Thanawat “Off” Wichaphon (Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies [MAICS], 2025).

Having never been to East Asia School of Theology (EAST) before I was not sure what to expect on my first visit, but what I discovered about EAST is worth sharing. EAST is not only based in Singapore and carries East Asia in its name, but it engages in God’s mission in East Asia.  Students from all over East Asia are being trained and equipped to be Jesus’ hands and feet wherever they are placed.  Students from even further afar in our world are coming to be trained and equipped there too so they can share the good news of our good God in East Asia and beyond.

This is not just a school that simply teaches their students head knowledge about God.  Their focus on the whole person and the whole gospel was very obvious from the moment I walked in. The day I visited EAST they were focusing on generosity in hospitality.  The students had invited their supervisors to come to a special afternoon tea.  They had cooked delicious dishes from their home countries and took great joy in sharing their combined efforts with their supervisors.  Hospitality was not just restricted to food; they lead us in a time of worship through song and prayer and then we heard testimony of how God is leading them into a variety of ministries.

Meeting the teachers you could see the love for their students and their desire to see them thrive, not only in learning but also in life.  EAST provides a place for the students to grow as they learn.  It was also obvious that there was a total acceptance that growth comes with challenges and neither teachers nor students needed to be afraid.  EAST values helping students to mature in attitude and character which will lead them to be more and more like Christ.

If there was one thing I could add for someone who may be thinking about going to EAST that they should be aware of – that would be to make sure you look carefully for their door.  If you walk too fast or blink at the wrong time you may miss the door that opens up a new opportunity for learning and growing and participating in seeing God’s love for His people transforming your life and others.  I almost missed the door and the opportunity myself to see what God is doing in and through EAST.  Thank you, EAST, for your generous hospitality and allowing me to see all that you are doing. May God’s name be glorified.

A Field Practicum Reflection by Thanawat “Off” Wichaphon, MAICS student from Thailand

What could I expect to do more with my field practicum since the ministry that I do has become part of my life? As I have been serving with Overseas Missionary Fellowship (OMF) since 2012 and what I am going to do in my field practicum is still related to OMF, what else should I expect? This question took me a while to gather all my thoughts toward what I was going to do for my field practicum – I actually had no expectations.

But what I observed from the Field Supervisor’s Tea had brought me abundant joy. Why? In the ministry that I serve with OMF, my focus is to mobilize the Thai church to engage in Missions. Last few years, we have been praying for opportunities to engage with seminaries in Thailand in order to mobilize the seminary students. At the beginning of this year, God answered our prayers, a relationship with a seminary was established and two students did their cross-cultural internship with us. With a heart to see the young generation engaging in missions, I now have seen it with my own eyes at EAST.

As I became a student at EAST, I have been hanging out with my schoolmates, I have listened to their calling in missions from time to time, and I got to hear their passion for their cross-cultural internship and their goals after school at the Field Supervisor’s Tea. This has brought me joy. I am thankful for the opportunity to be here in person, getting to know more of my schoolmates, and spending life with everyone here. Throughout the whole time that I have been enrolled with EAST, I am thankful for this institution. EAST’s vision clearly states, “Developing Christlike Leaders for the Great Commission.” I am proud of the institution that God has brought me to. EAST has developed my schoolmates to be Christlike servants. I have seen them respond to the Great Commission and it shows of the success of the seminary’s vision. This is a good reason for us to be joyful indeed! All Glory be to God!

The reflections above were written respectively by Faye Hohaia (Field Education Supervisor) and Thanawat “Off” Wichaphon (MAICS student doing his field practicum as part of his studies). Photos used were contributed by Off. He is also serving as the Executive Director of Overseas Missionary Fellowship (Thailand). Both Off and Peung (Off’s wife) are studying onsite at EAST.