Dr Alvin Tey: Teaching (and Learning) to Transform Lives

A blessed Teacher’s Day to all! And I do mean to all, as I am sure that all of us are teachers in one way or another!

Teaching is a calling. It is a calling not merely to impart knowledge and experiences, but to transform lives. Mirroring the Great Commandment (Mark 12:30) to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and the Second Commandment (Mark 12:31) to love others as ourselves, teaching is meant to be holistic in nature. The aim of teaching is firstly to transform the whole life, to love God more and more with our heart, soul, mind and strength, and secondly to transform us to love and serve others. Importantly, even as we are individually called to teach in our different capacities and different seasons of our lives, we are also called to learn and grow as in our walk with God (see Deuteronomy 4:10 and Proverbs 9:9).

What does this mean for us, both as teachers and students, in EAST? I would like to suggest three implications (and applications):

• We are all teachers, and learners, in the discipleship journey of life with Jesus our Lord and master. That means that all of us, both teachers and students have something to learn, and to teach others, continually with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. In my time in EAST, my greatest joy has not only been to teach out of my life and experiences, but to learn from other teachers and students.

• Teaching and learning happen in the (extra)-ordinariness of everyday life. Every day is ordinary, yet extra-ordinary, as opportunities for us to learn, grow and teach. I seek to be curious and attentive to the everyday learning and teaching opportunities which God has given me, in EAST, my missions organization, church and home.

• In EAST, we stress on the heart, head and hands model. Hence, we aim to learn and teach holistically. What in our ‘feeling’, ‘thinking’ and ‘doing’ is God prompting for us to learn, change in ourselves and to teach others?

However, even if we all practice the above in our lives, it may not necessarily mean that EAST is an outstanding place for learning and teaching. For that to happen, one critical ingredient is necessary – love. It is only when all of us teach and learn in mutual love that EAST becomes an enjoyable teaching and learning environment. To be a loving teaching and learning environment means to repent of prideful competition, and to revel in collegial encouragement. We all teach, learn, grow and succeed as disciples of Jesus Christ together. Let us all play our part to make EAST a fantastic learning and teaching environment.

The best teachers I have experienced in my life often never saw themselves as teachers. They saw themselves as fellow learners and sojourners in the journey of faith. I remember and pay tribute to my senior missionary supervisor Kenneth who taught me much about missions and ministry. I also remember and pay tribute to my former pastor Eng Hwa, who taught and discipled me through the ups and downs of the Christian life and ministry. These two men (and other men and women in my life) modelled, rather than taught, to me Christ-like love, joy, patience and humility. Like Jesus, they are the model ‘teacher-mentor’ for me to emulate.

In 2 Timothy 2:2, Paul wrote: “And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.”

Who are the ‘teachers-mentors’ in your life? Take time to thank God for them, and show your appreciation to them today.

Are you being a ‘teacher-mentor’ to someone else in your life? Pray for that person. Or pray for God to lead you to someone to disciple according to His will.

The above Teacher’s Day reflection is written by EAST resident faculty Dr Alvin Tey.  Alvin’s specialty is in the area of Intercultural Studies and he serves with Operation Mobilisation (OM) where he leads the People and Organisational Development Team in OM East Asia.