A for Aleph!

Front Row (L-R): Sze-Chieh Winslow, Ying Swant, Sherlyn Khongsai, Sofia Manee
Back row (L-R): Myo Zaw, Joshua MG, Sila Sethsophonkul, Rammungchan Phungsok, Soreichan Ningshen, Themreiso Lamlang Awungshi

Two weeks before we start the new academic year, we will hold an orientation program called Aleph for our new cohort of students. We warmly welcome our 13 new students! The international students from this cohort are from East Asia, India, Myanmar, Philippines, and Thailand.

Aleph – the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet – signifies a new start and more to come for our new students. This two-week program is an immersion experience to orientate and prepare them for the first semester at EAST.

Aleph was held from 28 June to 12 July. We kicked off with a Welcome Program, where our student council president started with a time of worship then followed by a simple yet fun ice breaker game to get everyone to remember each other’s name quickly!

Our EAST President, Rev Dr Chan Chong Hiok shared the welcome message. He spoke on “A Journey of Faith”. He exhorted the students to always be filled with the Holy Spirit. They are not to be afraid when faced with difficulties in their journey because Jesus Christ is their source of strength. Also, their journey in EAST is not just for personal growth. But should impact their families and community. As they are transformed, they are to be channels that God uses to transform others.

During the two weeks that follow students attend academic briefings, classes on knowing how to write research papers, and sessions on how to use learning systems and resources. They also attended chapel services and had fellowship lunches with faculty and students to get to know the EAST community. For the international students, we had a session called “Singapore and her multicultural society” to help them in their relocation adjustments.

On the last day of Aleph, it was all fun and games. The whole school got together for a time of fun, fellowship and food!

Here are what 2 of our new students have expressed on how they were blessed by the experience in Aleph.

Sofia from Thailand:

“I felt the warm welcome from staff and lecturers, and it is so meaningful when you can call each one of us by name. I am blessed by their care and kindness. Aleph program was very helpful to prepare me to be ready for the studies ahead. It was good to spend the past two weeks preparing even though I’m tired but I love it!”

Rammungchan from India:

“I am adjusting well with new people, new culture, new environment, new food! It was great for me to attend Aleph in this transition period because I love to learn about new things everyday. I feel more empowered and more confident in myself and my ability to tackle all sorts of new tasks. And indeed I’m ready for the class to start!”

We are also thankful and our hearts are full of praise to God as we start each academic year. God is faithful as we see new cohorts of students coming through the doors of EAST for their theological education and training. We would like to thank our financial supporters who have made it possible for the international students to come and join us in their faith journey.

The article above is written by Ms Rina Lee, EAST Registrar, who has been instrumental in planning for the Aleph program for the new students. Rina is also an EAST Alumna who has graduated in 2009 with a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies. 

Filed under Event · Tagged with , ,