Alumna Naleng Real: Reflects on Recent Trip to EAST

Cambodian alumna Naleng Real who graduated in 2007 with a Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies has from time to time found it refreshing to return to EAST for an intensive course to re-tool herself when the opportunity arises. Recently in May, Naleng was able to attend her younger co-worker’s (Chakriya Sok) graduation at EAST’s 30th Commencement and attend Dr Guy Saffold’s Organisational Change Strategies intensive course. Below is a short reflection by Naleng.

Motivation to Return to EAST and Singapore

After EAST in Singapore, my journey with EAST has been profoundly impactful, and when the opportunity arose to return for an intensive course on Organizational Change Strategies, I eagerly seized it. This decision stemmed from my respect for the institution and my desire to further enhance my skills to benefit my ministry in Cambodia.The decision to return to EAST for the intensive course at EAST are the following. Firstly, the curriculum of the course, designed by Dr. Guy Saffold, addresses the challenges and strategies of organizational change within Christian ministries. It is highly relevant to my current role as a project director for the “Sustainability Project” at Fountain of Hope in Cambodia. The practical nature of the course promises to equip me with advanced skills to guide my organization through the necessary adaptations and transformations to ensure sustainability.

The quality of education, the depth of the Christian ethics instilled, and the practical skills imparted by the faculty were instrumental in shaping my approach to ministry. The prospect of re-engaging with the esteemed lecturers and reconnecting with fellow graduates who share similar values and experiences was a compelling reason to return.

Key Takeaways from Dr. Guy Saffold’s Class

Dr. Guy Saffold’s expertise in organizational change is unparalleled. His teachings provided invaluable insights into the dynamics of leading change in Christian organizations with clear vision in structure. One key takeaway was understanding the necessity of balancing continuity and change. Dr. Saffold emphasized that while organizations must adapt to remain relevant, they must also preserve their core mission and values. This principle resonates deeply with my work, where maintaining our mission while adapting to new challenges is crucial.  Change often brings resistance, and Dr. Saffold’s strategies for navigating these conflicts with grace and effectiveness have been particularly beneficial. His approach to adaptive leadership, which involves diagnosing issues before acting, has been a guiding principle in my leadership style.

Applying Learned Skills in Cambodia

Upon returning to Cambodia, I gain this knowledge at EAST in various facets of my ministry. As the project director for the “Sustainability Project” at Fountain of Hope, I will have a chance to implement strategies to help the organization adapt to changing circumstances. For instance, we will need to develop comprehensive change management plans to address potential resistance and foster a culture of continuous improvement. I learned how to handle the conflict resolution I know will be instrumental in helping me if I need to mediate in disagreements that arise to ensuring smooth transitions within our projects. By fostering open communication and encouraging feedback, we will be able to address concerns proactively and maintain a harmonious work environment. Additionally, the adaptive leadership skills will enable me to better diagnose organizational issues and implement effective solutions, ensuring my project remains aligned with the mission and vision of Fountain of Hope.

What I Love About EAST

EAST holds a special place in my heart not only for its academic excellence but also for its strong Christian community. The lecturers and professors are not just educators but also mentors who model Christian ethics and principles in their lives.

Naleng Real is currently working as a Sustainability Program Director at the Fountain of Hope (a non-governmental organisation). She also sits on the advisory board of  Precious Women organisation and she is a church planter.